beautifully decorated with lights, trees, candles and more.
- Santa’s little helpers are also known as “tontut”
- Santa knocks on your door and comes to hand you your presents, unlike some places where you just find your present under the tree.
Some of the traditional Christmas snacks are:
- Gingerbread cookies
- Joulutorttu(Christmas stars)
- Date cake
Glögi; Spiced with wine or vodka and a sprinkling of almonds and raisins
Some of the popular Christmas foods include:
- Herring & raw fish
- Traditional casseroles: Rutabaga, potatoes, carrots, liver & rice
- Rosolli (root vegetable salad)
- Rice porridge
If you would like to see some beautiful lights head on over to Aleksanterinkatu, also known as the “Christmas street”.
This market is set up only once a year both inside and outside the Häme Castle. There are a few vendors all around selling wool socks, hand made crafts, jams, smoked fish and
Christmas decorations. The visit is worth it specially because you get to see the winter wonderland all around.